Sunday, April 8, 2012

Spring Break, Conference, and Easter

Wow, time flies. Well, a couple weeks ago was Spring Break and we spent the first few days cleaning. I'm such a mean mom. Then we got ready and headed South to Utah. Our plans changed so much with time, it was hard to know what to expect. A few things about Utah. 1. I don't like the driving and the construction. 2. Anytime we had to "run into town to pick up a few things" it took at least 4 hours - at least. I definitely will have to plan better. We did spend some time with Jolicka and Dan and their family, and helped them clean up a bit and fix their playhouse so it wasn't a death trap. I got a new blender which I love, and yes, I have well over 100 uses on it already. Although we are eating less baby food because I am learning how to flesh it out after I have blended it. :D. The kids are really getting tired of blender foods, but it is so easy and handy! Especially with the phantom fruit peeler, I just throw in the fruit that is half peeled and add a little sugar and yogurt and milk and voila! Meet your snack. The kids don't complain about the smoothies or ice cream, of course. We were also able to spend a few hours with Catina at her house and helped clean up and get everything ready for remodeling. I also got to hold their newest addition. She has done so many awesome things with her house! I wish we had spend less time running around through traffic and more time with family, but we know for next time. We left Sunday morning suddenly - you know how it goes when the hubby is done and ready to be on the road. We listened to all the sessions of conference and really had a great time.

Last week was nuts. We got back and had a minute to recover and then it was off to the races again. This week I had a big take home test then an in class test on Friday, so most of my week was dedicated to that. In the next two weeks I have a test in almost every other class, homework due and a presentation. I feel as if I'm barely keeping up. Next semesters tentative schedule is out and I don't like the looks of it :(. But if I can make it through it and one more, all I will have is Student Teaching and I will officially be done with my dual bachelors in Math and Secondary Ed. Only a little more sacrifice.

Easter came as a surprise this year. I was even in class today and I realized that Skyler and Catina were blessing their baby today. We were going to see about taking another trip to Utah, but life got in the way. Our thoughts and prayers were with them on this extra special day.

We were trying to decide what to do for Easter and my husband pointed out that I was pretty much a scrooge for all holidays. I'm afraid to admit that he's right. But I can justify my feelings for each and every thing... but it amounts to me being the biggest reason we don't really have any holiday traditions for any holiday whatsoever. Except maybe Christmas-barely. For Easter, though, I had a valid point. The whole hiding and coloring of the eggs is fun, as are the new dresses, etc., but what does any of that have to do with Christ's resurrection? I'll admit, some of it, like the dresses is because I'm so busy, and that's a lot of work, even for just 3 girls. So this year, we ate an Easter feast of bread and cheese standing up with our coats and shoes on. We talked about what the Passover meant for the children of Israel, and a little bit about the symbolism for Christ. Then we discussed what Christ did at the Last Supper and what it meant for us. Then we went through the days leading up to his resurrection. We also gave them Easter candy, courtesy of my husband, because candy is good. My poor kids. But they don't seem to be any worse for the wear. Ah, well, until next year, I guess. I would be interested to hear about any 'nontraditional' traditions you may do with your family for these holidays!

Hope this time met you and your family with much health and happiness. I know I've loved seeing and spending time with those whom I have and look forward to the days to come when we will see you again. Until then, or rather, until I write again, have a great upcoming week, everyone!

No comments: